Now more then ever, we know it is important to support local businesses, so we have reached out to some great mumpreneurs in our network to share their journey and passions. We hope by creating this local business spotlight, that you can find and support other awesome Australian businesses.
We recently spoke with Carly, the owner of The Wiggle Tree about her journey so far with her incredible organic baby products.
1) What inspired you to start your business?
Becoming a single mum to two young children reignited my hunger to have my own business. As cliche as it sounds, I wanted to be a strong role model for my son and daughter to show that no matter what happens in life you should always follow your dreams.
I knew it was important to find a business that would work with my new lifestyle and also offer a creative outlet for me to tap into my graphic design background. After months of searching, I found The Wiggle Tree and it just clicked. I loved the beautiful handmade products and the brand ethos, but also that I could build off the core best sellers like the Bamboo Nappy off Mats, and really create my own version of this business.
2) Can you tell us a little more about your business
The Wiggle Tree was first created in 2012 with the Bamboo Nappy off Mat. Our Waterproof Nappy off Mat is so soft, looks gorgeous and is practical by doubling as a change mat. It really ticks those making things a little easier for parents boxes. Every bamboo product from The Wiggle Tree is handmade so you feel how much care and love goes into each product. We have expanded to also include Flashcards from the talented Jo Collier and have a few more eco-friendly products in the works. There is always something going on behind the scenes.
3) What keeps you motivated?
My kids are definitely my biggest motivation. For them to see me working and achieving my goals is so important, it helps us all grow.
I’m also lucky to have a great network of strong women around me. The support and encourage they provide is endless and it helps me to keep moving forward.
4) What would you say are the top three skills needed to be a successful Mumpreneur?
- Time Managementis a big one, especially when it comes to juggling home and work life. These two worlds become intertwined so easily that you need to clearly set aside time for each of them. Although it’s never that easy.
- For me Curiosityis a great skill to have as an Entrepreneur. To think outside of the box and find a niche in your market is such a goal. I really admire someone who is willing to step outside of a comfort zone and give things a go.
- Brandingis so important. You do all of this work to get your products in front of your audience and you want them to remember who you are. Whether that’s from your logo and branding colours, business name or what your business stands for. Without this foundation set up it’s hard to build on successfully.
Where can people buy your products?
Transpiring a mothers love through mother and daughter matching outfits